Religious Education Pre K-8
Christina Laraia, DRE
To form its students into disciples of Christ in the Catholic tradition,
To nurture the spirituality of the child for a life long love of Christ,
To instill self-confidence and belief in the dignity of all people
To create a caring respectful community.
Time: 8:30-9:45 AM Sundays, September through May
Please register by calling Chris Laraia (312-7317) or Parish Office (944-4603)
REGISTRATION for 2017-2018 RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
Before and after all Masses, August 12-13th in the Seton Suite. All new and returning families MUST register at this time. New families must have child’s Baptism certificate with them.
For questions please call Chris Laraia at 312-7317.
We are looking for substitute teachers this year. PA state and diocesan clearances are needed. Please consider sharing your time and talent in our Religious Ed program.
We are in the process of forming a Youth Group for grades 5-8.
Catechists: Curriculum focus for the year
Pre-K/K: Gabrielle Cronin God, Community, Bible stories
Grade 1: Beth Moore Trinity
Grade 2: Kathy Hughes Baptism, Reconciliation, Eucharist
Grade 3: Kathie Civils Catholic Church
Grade 4: Helen Carper Christian Morality
Grade 5: Carol Galioto Sacraments and Liturgy
Grade 6: Kristin John Scripture
Grade 7: Debra Leberfinger Discipleship, Jesus, Personal Growth, Catholic Identity, Human Sexuality
Grade 8: Becky Betty Relationship. Church History, Morality, Social Justice
Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament
Religious Education Building
Altoona, PA 16601
943-7424 (Sundays only from 8-12:30 PM)
- Our program uses a Lectionary-based, spiral curriculum with a special emphasis each year. Our current texts are: We Believe, by Sadlier, and RCL Benziger’s Story of Jesus and Story of the Church, both updated for the revised Roman Missal.
- Grades 1 and 5 receive training in the diocesan safe environment program.
- All catechists and volunteers in the program MUST be certified in this program, and have received clearance from the PA State Police Child Abuse Agency
- 90% of our volunteer catechists have at least a Basic Catechist certification from the Altoona-Johnstown Diocese.
- Yearly class retreats, and 2 to 20 hours of service are required of our students. Various Advent and Lent service projects are offered.
- Yearly events such as Open House/Welcome, All Saints Party, Pretzel-Making Lenten Retreat, Seder Meal, Vacation Bible School, and tours of the Cathedral are offered.
F.I.R.E. (Family Intergenerational Religious Education)
9th – 11th Grade
School District Website Address Distance from the Cathedral
Altoona Central Catholic School www.altoonacentralcatholic.com 1.1 Miles
Bishop Guilfoyle Catholic High School www.bishopguilfoyle.org 1.9 Miles
Altoona Area School District www.aasdcat.com 1.9 Miles
Hollidaysburg Area School District www.tigerwires.com 6.4 Miles
Bellwood-Antis School District www.blwd.k12.pa.us 9.5 Miles
Pennsylvania State University/Altoona Campus www.aa.psu.edu 3.2 Miles
Mount Aloysius College www.mtaloy.edu 18.1 Miles
Saint Francis University www.francis.edu 19.3 Miles
Juniata College www.juniata.edu 32.9 Miles