Parish Religious Education Program (PREP)
Christine Laraia, DRE
To form its students into disciples of Christ in the Catholic tradition,
To nurture the spirituality of the child for a life long love of Christ,
To instill self-confidence and belief in the dignity of all people
To create a caring respectful community.
PREP PK – 8: 8:30-9:45 AM Sundays, September through May
PREP 9 -11: Sunday Evenings, September through May
Religious Education Building
One Cathedral Square
Altoona, PA 16601
(814) 943 – 7424 (Sundays only from 8 – 12:30pm)
Please register by calling Chris Laraia (312-7317) or Parish Office (944-4603)
Download and fill out the Registration Form (pdf fillable form). Return this form to the Parish Office.
PREP PreK – 8 Catechists: Curriculum Focus for the Year
Pre-K/K: Gabrielle Cronin – God, Community, Bible stories
Grade 1: Beth Moore – Trinity
Grade 2: Lori Pastore – Baptism, Reconciliation, Eucharist
Grade 3: Nicole Burkle – Catholic Church
Grade 4: Helen Carper – Christian Morality
Grade 5: Darlene Sinisi – Sacraments and Liturgy
Grade 6: Roberta Burns – Scripture
Grade 7: Debra Leberfinger – Discipleship, Jesus, Personal Growth, Catholic Identity, Human Sexuality
Grade 8: Carol Galioto – Relationship, Church History, Morality, Social Justice
PREP 9 – 11 Catechists
Kris Johns and Phyllis Baker
- Our program uses a Lectionary-based, spiral curriculum with a special emphasis each year. Our current texts are: We Believe, by Sadlier, and RCL Benziger’s Story of Jesus and Story of the Church, both updated for the revised Roman Missal.
- Grades 1 and 5 receive training in the diocesan safe environment program.
- All catechists and volunteers in the program MUST be certified in this program, and have received clearance from the PA State Police Child Abuse Agency
- 90% of our volunteer catechists have at least a Basic Catechist certification from the Altoona-Johnstown Diocese.
- Yearly class retreats, and 2 to 20 hours of service are required of our students. Various Advent and Lent service projects are offered.
- Yearly events such as Open House/Welcome, All Saints Party, Pretzel-Making Lenten Retreat, Seder Meal, Vacation Bible School, and tours of the Cathedral are offered.
School District Website Address Distance from the Cathedral
Altoona Central Catholic School www.altoonacentralcatholic.com 1.1 Miles
Bishop Guilfoyle Catholic High School www.bishopguilfoyle.org 1.9 Miles
Altoona Area School District www.aasdcat.com 1.9 Miles
Hollidaysburg Area School District www.tigerwires.com 6.4 Miles
Bellwood-Antis School District www.blwd.k12.pa.us 9.5 Miles
Pennsylvania State University/Altoona Campus www.aa.psu.edu 3.2 Miles
Mount Aloysius College www.mtaloy.edu 18.1 Miles
Saint Francis University www.francis.edu 19.3 Miles
Juniata College www.juniata.edu 32.9 Miles